Running .Net 4 Extended

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
jtimoney Posted: 04-25-2012 4:24

Hi Don,

Just would like to say a big thanks for the book. I'm trying to run a silent install of the .Net4 full profile over the network. Can I do this from creating a new pssession with another computer and then running it from my station?

This is what I have to run it siliently;

$arglist = "/q /norestart /log \\test.com\folder\Installs\Workshare\Workshare Protect 7\GPO"

$filepath = "\\test.com\folder\Installs\Workshare\Workshare Protect 7\GPO\Net4.exe"

Start-Process -FilePath $filepath -ArgumentList $arglist -Wait -PassThru

Could you point me in the right direction with regard to pssession, Is it possible?

Many thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 640

Use New-PSSession to start the session, and then Invoke-Command to send your Start-Process across that session. 

The problem you're going to run into is having the remote computer access that UNC. That creates a second "hop" and your credential won't delegate - the command will fail. Enabling that second hop is a bit complicated; look into the Enable-WSManCredSSP cmdlet. Or, just copy that exe to the target machine to start with, so that it's local.

$session = new-pssession -computer TARGET
invoke-command -session $session -scriptblock {Start-Process -FilePath $filepath -ArgumentList $arglist -Wait -PassThru}

Keeping in mind $filepath needs to point to a local path. This does require PowerShell ON the remote computer, and requires that remoting be enabled and configured properly. See my Remoting guide at http://powershellbooks.com.

Or you could, you know, deploy this via GPO. That's a much better solution. Or let the computer pull it down via Windows Update. Also much better. 

Not Ranked
Posts 2

Cheers Don.

I've now installed with GPO. I'll keep working on a solution though. It would be useful tool for our company and good for PS practice.

Many Thanks

John

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright 2012 PowerShell.com. All rights reserved.