Who Am I?

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 341
Top Contributor
Thomas Lee Posted: 10-30-2010 1:25 PM

As moderator, I'd like to kick off this forum with a post introducing myself. Please feel free to follow up and tell us who YOU are!

As for me, I'm a consultant/trainer living in the UK. I've been in the IT business since the late 1960's, and remember where I was both when the PC was launched and when PowerShell, or Monad as it was then known, was first show the public at PDC 2003. When IBM launched the IBM PC, in 1981, I knew this was going to be a revolution in how we used computing power. And when I first saw Monad, I could see the potential. Much of which has now been realiseed.

In the years since, I've done a lot of work, both paid and free, to advance the cause. I helped write Microsoft's PowerShell official courses, and maintain a couple of blogs. I'm a PowerShell MVP - I've been an MVP for 15 of the past 16 years.  I currently teach a range of PowerShell courses across the US and Europe.

Most recently, I'm getting into Lync 2010 - an incredible product that needs PowerShell!!!

I am here to have fun, help others learn PowerShell and learn a few things in the bargain.

So that's me and who I am. Who are you - and how can we help?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 11

My turn Smile

I'm a former DECcie, doing VAX/ALPHA/VMS/FORTRAN/COBOL/DCL support in the French Telephone Support Centre back in 1983-1986. Since then, I set up my own company doing consulting, training and such. Due to the takeover of Digital by Compaq in 1998 Angry and Compaq by HP in 2002 Big Smile the DEC park of machines decreased dramatically. Today, there is no more business in DEC consulting in Europe (afaik). So I decided to "go Windows". I learned VBScript, now I start learning PowerShell. Maybe tomorrow I'll start learning .NET, but this is not an obvious decision...

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 341
Top Contributor

Welcome to this forum!

Regarding .NET, think of it as a collection of hundreds of useful little bits of functionality. Should you want to deal with, for example, Japaneese calendars - there's a class for that. If you need to add very large integers - there;s a class for that. If you want to create rich emails with attachments etc - there;s a class for that too. AND - a number of the classes in MSDN's library have PowerShell samples - I've personally added over 500.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 341
Top Contributor

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the world of PowerShell.

To some degree, the .net framework provides lower level features that you may find useful. Part of the framework have also been decorated with PowerShell script samples to make things easier - and for my scripts at least, you can download the whole library from http://pshscripts.blogspot.j

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright 2012 PowerShell.com. All rights reserved.