looking for an interactive powershell script that will ask me for the information to enter

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 9
mmenzie Posted: 05-15-2012 12:48 PM

Hello,

not sure if this is possible, but i can't see why it isn't.... here's the scenario... i get emails from my SCOM server that tell me when a user has "Reached the maximum category subscriptions per publisher limit" and then it tells me the user's SIP address that reached the limit. i then have to go to my powershell and run the command:

Grant-CsPresencePolicy -Identity sip:username@domain.com -PolicyName PopularUsers

is there a way that i can "double click" a .ps1 script, have it open powershell, then ask me "What is the sip address" i then enter username@domain.com and hit enter and it runs the above command inserting the sip address i specified automatically??

Thanks in advance

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 296
Microsoft MVP
Top Contributor

By default PowerShell does not allow you to double click a .ps1 file and run it. I would not recommend changing those default settings.

One possiblilty would be to create a script as an example

param (
 [parameter(Mandatory=$true)]
 [string]$myparam

)

"this was my parameter $myparam"

then create an icon on your desk top for powershell.exe

right click and open properties

change the Target to

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -NoExit  -File "c:\scripts\test\test-param.ps1"

or whatever is appropriate

When you double click the icon powershell starts and runs your script. Because the parameter is mandatory you will be prompted for a value.

Put your code in the script and off you go.

Once the command has run close the PowerShell window.  If you leave the -NoExit off the command then it will close automatically.  I prefer to leave the window open so I can catch error messages

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 9

thanks for the reply. i hate to admit... i am not a coder or a scripter so i do not know how to create the actual script. i understand the rest of your reply about creating a shorcut to the powershell, but i do not know how to write the script itself and thats what i really need.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 296
Microsoft MVP
Top Contributor

This should do it for you.  Its simplistic but as you are using and understand what is needed it will do

save the script with a .ps1 extension and call it as discussed in my previous reply

param (
 [parameter(Mandatory=$true)]
 [string]$user
)

Grant-CsPresencePolicy -Identity sip:$($user) -PolicyName PopularUsers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 9

thank you so much!!! intial tests are failing but i think i know why. i am going to play around with it tomorrow but i am positive in the end, this will work. thanks alot!!!!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright 2012 PowerShell.com. All rights reserved.