Cmdlet for working with MPIO and Fibre HBAs?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
brada Posted: 05-11-2012 1:22 PM

Just bought the Month of Lunches book and am progressing thru it.  I have a more immediate need for a ray of hope around querying my SAN connections.  Critically I need to verify that I have 2 online and secondarily would like to be able to prove they are attached to diverse switches.

help *mpio* yields nothing.

Can Powershell tickle SAN cards or MPIO?  Am I missing a bolt-on package?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 640

I don't know about bolts, but PowerShell natively doesn't do much at all - you do need an add-in to manage anything, much like the MMC. Your SAN vendor would have to provide that, not Microsoft.

Not Ranked
Posts 3

But MPIO is Microsoft's code.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 640

Then you'll have to wait until that product group produces a set of cmdlets. Might be in Win2012; I haven't looked at the entire list but they've added 2000+ commands.

Another thing to keep in mind: In PowerShell v2, the Help command can only show you commands that are presently loaded into memory. Now, I know there's not currently a Microsoft-provided MPIO module to load into memory, but the point is that running "help *mpio*" wouldn't show you any commands unless such a module had been imported into the shell.

In v3, that changes: Help can show commands that aren't loaded (module auto-discovery). 

Win2012 is MS' actual first push to provide complete cmdlet coverage across the OS. That's where you're most likely to see the commands you're after, although they may well only work for Win2012 servers, and not for older versions.

Not Ranked
Posts 3

Found reference to a few MPIO cmdlets in 2012 beta.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright 2012 PowerShell.com. All rights reserved.