Controls to open explorer.exe: Window position and dimension (read/write), panes and bars to show - including StatusText. Possibly Quit-Event control.

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Ben52s Posted: 04-27-2012 5:46 AM

Thanks for your fast and constructive reply.

My goal is:
using vbs with powershell, cmd/bat-commands and standard OS resources:
- to display the content of a file-system folder on local or LAN-computer / NAS, in the clean and clear look of Windows explorer, i.e. without preview- and navigation pane,
possibly in 'detailed' view (standard columns 'Name', 'DateLastModified','Type', size'),
in ascending alfabetical order.
Standard double click on a filename to open it with the registered viewer.

- to position the Window to a previous memorized User-positioned (or default) DeskTop-location,

- to size the Window either to a default or a previously memorized User-modified.

- to view specific text-Notes for that folder content, e.g. in Details pane,

- to enable the user to browse to upper folder structures, using the address or search bar

- to configure (restrict) the menue bar to case-dependent options.

- to react on event 'User Close the specific explorer instance'

Most of these controls were available in the past using IE as local File system browser.
In order to prevent next system/IE-updates surprises, i count more on the Windows explorer, presuming less future update consequences, reaching the main goal to use standard OS resources.

IE-GUI, obsolete:
rarely necessary, and up to now less problematic:
I have migrated vbs from W2k and XP to W7/IE V.9 with the core-information found at http://www.borncity.de/BookPage/Other/WSH.htm, under
'Generelles: Verschiedene Sicherheitspatches im IE bzw. in Windows verhindern, dass verschiedene Script-Lösungen, die den Internet Explorer und Formulare verwenden, funktionieren.'

Simple Forms with Radio-button, text-/check-/and combo-boxes are again functional.
Aware of future IE-Updates, i try to gain deeper hta-knowledge - to be less dependend of specific recipes.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 618
Microsoft MVP
Top Contributor

Hey Ben,

I can see what you want to accomplish.

Using system applications like IE or explorer.exe are always a hack, no matter how much genius you invest, because you are not the code owner and will always have to live with surprising code updates or braking changes.

What you want to do is IMHO best accomplished by downloading Visual Studio Express, either c# or VB.NET, and starting to program in .NET. This way, you can take the controls you want and plug them directly into your own application.

PowerShell, on the other hand, won't be of benefit for your specific goal. While PS can create windowed applications, if that is what you want you should start working with VisualStudio and .NET directly.

Not Ranked
Posts 3

Tobias,

that was the Wake-Up  call to finally start it now, not tomorrow.
The first video-courses of Bob Tabor from www.LearnVisualStudio.net have removed the brake to use it, which was fixed from my unique trial with VB V.5. - cumbersome, confronted to my impression of the actual Visual Studio Express.

With the importance of .Net stated by MS long time ago, it was a matter of time until it reached to vbs KO criterion for a growing number of cases. Doubts about my ability to enter the .Net generation are shrinking having read some concrete how-to examples.

Vbs remains for me anyhow the handy lightweigth system for small helpers and automation purposes, usually quick and dirty made.

Thanks for your impulse to think and decide about it.

Ben

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright 2012 PowerShell.com. All rights reserved.