Windows Feature - Add "As" versus "Add"?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 123
JakeS Posted: 04-12-2012 12:46 AM

Does anyone know what the difference between these 2 commands are in terms of what they do considering both add windows features?

The "AS" is what I can't find online details on.

Add-WindowsFeature as-net-framework

The standard seems to be:

Add-WindowsFeature Net-Framework

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 640

Same command. Just different features being added. But sorry, no, I don't know the difference between those features. I'm not a huge .NET person. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 640

Run Get-WindowsFeature as-net-framework and see if the full description of the feature isn't more helpful. 

(this isnt really "add" vs "as" - you're using add-WindowsFeature either way)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 123

Thanks, I looked at the results of Get-WindowsFeature as-net-framework and compared that to the Get-WindowsFeature NET-Framework-Core and the only output is the "name" and that just shows the 1st as being As-Net-Framework and the other is the Net-Framework-Core, but I don't see any difference in the actual features that get installed.

It looks like you can use the As- to install new features for several items aside from this, such as message queuing and so forth.

I'm still looking at what the difference is in terms of what gets added, the only thing I have found is that the "as-feature" is noted onlilne as being used when installing features for an application server, which doesn't make sense.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 640

"as" means "application server." It's part of what supports IIS and other platforms.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright 2012 PowerShell.com. All rights reserved.